In season now is rich red Rhubarb!
There is certainly no shortage of tasty treats you can make with Rhubarb, here are some suggestions;
- Rhubarb Cake
- Rhubarb Ice-cream
- Rhubarb & Fennel Sparkling Cocktail
- Apple & Rhubarb Crumble
- Rhubarb & Custard Tarts
- Rhubarb Salsa
- Rhubarb & Rosewater Pie
The one that really made our mouth water though, is this delicious Rhubarb BBQ Sauce!
Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb, 1cm slices (about 5 large stalks)
- 1 (400gm) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup (125ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high hear then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender and the sauce has slightly thickened
- Mash the sauce and rhubarb with a fork
- Use the BBQ sauce immediately, or allow cooling then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Note: To adjust the flavour of the rhubarb BBQ sauce to your taste: If it is too tart, add honey. If it is too sweet, add a little apple cider vinegar.